Oxygen Use at Home
Fire Safety and Guidelines for Storing and Handling Oxygen Equipment
Thank you for choosing AeroCare to be your oxygen provider. Oxygen safety is extremely important to us. Please follow these guidelines to help keep you and your family safe.
Oxygen is safe when used properly. When not used properly, it can be dangerous. It will fuel a fire, causing it to start easily and to burn faster and hotter. Sparks and materials that normally would not burn can start a fire because of the oxygen you use. It is very important to protect yourself, those around you and your home when using oxygen.
Follow these prevention tips:
- NEVER SMOKE or allow others to smoke near where oxygen is being used or stored.
- Put signs on all doors to let visitors and emergency personnel know oxygen is in use. “No Smoking” signs should also be posted.
- Use and store oxygen in well ventilated areas (not in cabinets, closets, other confined spaces or behind curtains). The small amount of oxygen gas continually vented from oxygen units can accumulate in a confined space and become a fire hazard.
- Keep grease, oil and petroleum products away from your oxygen equipment. Do not use lotions or ointments (Vaseline, Vicks, Chapstick, etc.) in or around your nose. Oxygen can react with these oily substances and cause burns. Use water-based products only.
- Do not use anything flammable while using your oxygen, including cleaning fluid, gasoline, paint thinner, aerosols or alcohol-containing sprays.
- Keep oxygen at least five feet away from flames or heat sources, including gas stoves, barbeque grills, space heaters, fireplaces and candles. Do not relight a pilot light.
- Do not use electric razors, hair dryers, or any heat producing and electrical appliance that has a motor while you are using oxygen.
- Do not use bedding or clothes made of wool, nylon or synthetic fabrics as these materials have the tendency to produce static electricity. The use of cotton material bedding and clothing will avoid sparks from static electricity.
- Turn your oxygen equipment off when you are not using it.
- Have a working smoke detector. Check the batteries regularly.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher within easy reach and be sure everyone knows how to use it.
- Plan and practice an evacuation route for you and your family.
Oxygen Tank Safety