AeroCare is pleased to offer a variety of Commodes to keep you safe and independent in your home. To assist you with the purchase of your new Commode, we have compiled the following tips for adjusting, using and cleaning your new Commode. Please follow these instructions carefully either when using the Commode over the toilet or near the bedside. Failure to comply with these instructions may result in injury. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Make sure all four tips of commode are firmly on the floor. If using a wheeled commode, it should be positioned against the wall and the wheels should be in the locked position.
- Height should be adjusted so client sits comfortably with feet on the floor.
- Adjust height by depressing the button on each commode leg and raising or lowering each leg by moving the outer sleeve in the desired direction.
- When adjusting the commode legs, listen for the click. Failure to lock the commode legs may result in injury. Be sure all commode legs are at the same height.
- If the commode has drop arms, you can drop them by pushing the lever or pulling the button located on the front of each arm. The arms will swing down or push out of the way. Reverse this procedure to replace the arms to the upright position.
The pail can be removed by lifting the seat and lid, or with some styles, the pail slides out the back of the commode. 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pail makes it easier to clean. Disposable Commode Liners are included when using the commode over a toilet.
- Do not exceed maximum weight capacity for the commode.
- Adjust height to desired position.
- Back up to the commode until you feel the back of your knees touching it.
- Reach back for the armrests. Place both hands firmly on the armrests before sitting on the commode.
- Slowly lower yourself onto the commode by bending your elbows, and if possible, your hips and knees.
- Then, to stand reach back for the armrests. Place both hands firmly on the armrests before sitting on the commode. Push on the armrests as much as comfortably possible. Make sure you have your balance before releasing your grasp from the commode armrests.
This commode can be easily cleaned with regular household cleaning products; however, do not use abrasive powders or scouring pads.